Saturday, January 4, 2014

New Things I Have Done and Tried This Year

This has been a fun year for me with my scrapbooking. I have tried many new things and scrapped quite a bit.

The first half of the year, I was still living in Saudi Arabia and was limited to what supplies I brought with me. However, thanks to Scrapscription, I made several mini-albums where I practiced layering techniques and learned more how to make fun and interactive mini-albums. I also tried misting for the first time, which turned out to be a lot of fun. I made several pages using the colorful Mr. Huey's mists. I want to get a few more stencil patterns. With the leftovers from the Scrapscription kits I have made several really cute pages that are scrappy and fun. In fact, I used a bunch of leftovers to start on my Egypt album. The patterns and colors reminded me of Egypt. I ended up ordering two more kits from Scrapscription to complete the Egypt album. I'll use the 6 x 6 albums for other projects.

I have been doing a few pocket scrapbook pages here and there. When I got back to the USA, I found Simple Stories in my local Michaels. The books were so cute and the size was great, so I picked up a few things. I discovered that I LOVE Simple Stories. The products are fun and colorful. It is an easy way to share everyday fun memories. Today, I stopped at my local Michaels and found several Simple Stories products majorly discounted. I picked up everything that was on sale, including two 6 x 8 albums that were on sale for $3.99 each. What a bargain! I have been working on an album covering our return to the USA through November. I think that Simple Stories would be a great entry point for someone really new to scrapbooking. The books look great, the size is really manageable and the products are really fun.

I also bit the bullet and bought a Project Life album. Originally, I intended to use the album to work on my parents' family photos, but I never got around to it. I guess I was too tired from the early months of my pregnancy. I did decide to use it for this new year. My goal is to document the everyday stories of my family. I also just bought the Baby Project Life album. My goal is take a picture a day of my little girl when she arrives at the end of January. I love the idea of having a picture a day for that first year. This is my last baby and I really want to remember what it is like to have a newborn.

I created several mini-albums for my sisters for Christmas presents and for my parents. I have been working steadily through my stash. I still have a long way to go, but it is fun work. With Simple Stories and Project Life, I'm documenting everyday stuff. I'll use 12 x 12 traditional layouts to really work on longer stories that have more meaning and thought for me.



I also subscribed to Gossamer Blue, which is a monthly kit club. I used to subscribe to Storytellers Club, but they have gone out of business. I enjoyed their products and I continue to use the kits I have. I didn't resume my membership when we moved back. I have wanted to use more and more embellishments and I liked what Gossamer Blue had to offer. I haven't used my kit yet because I have been so darn busy, but I will get to it tomorrow. I have only bought two kits and will cancel my membership because I don't have much space for new stuff and my budget can only take so much. But the kits are awesome!

I made a fabulous December Daily album that I'm really proud of. Instead of buying new product, I used the Christmas stuff I had. The album is chock full of details from our everyday lives, plus all the fun details about our first Christmas in our new home. I also put all our Christmas cards in the album, so it is stuffed full of really meaningful items. I can't wait to do this again next year.

I also took several classes in 2013 that I wasn't able to complete because of our international move and my pregnancy. My goal for 2014 is to actually go back and complete the classes--I love forever access. I'm really excited about Ali Edwards class, Hello Story, because I loved her different ideas for telling stories.
I subscribed to Paperclipping which is a library of video tutorials. I love the podcast the crew puts on and their videos have been excellent. I'm learning from the design principles. I need to be more diligent about watching the videos though.

I also discovered Scrapbook & Cards Today  which is a Canadian publication. They still put out a physical magazine!!!! I ordered a subscription to the magazine and can't wait to start getting issues. I also ordered their planner, which is awesome. I've been using the planner to record tidbits about our days, and lots of story ideas. I love the style of the scrapbooking. Becky Fleck is an editor and I love her style, colors, and concepts.

I am sad that Creating Keepsakes went under and isn't publishing a physical magazine anymore. I'm not crazy about the digital format, but I'll take what I can get. I'm subscribing to more blogs and sites and trying to get used to the digital format generally. It's taking some time, but I'm learning.


I feel like my style is developing and changing. I'm having fun and playing with new ideas and techniques. Above all, I'm having fun creating and learning. I love the happiness boost I get when I make beautiful things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment